Skip sidebar navigation

Fix a leak

  • Three steps: check, twist, replace

    • Look for dripping faucets, showerheads, sprinklers, and other fixtures.
    • Look for silent toilet leaks by dropping food coloring into the tank to see if it appears in the bowl before you flush. Call 503-618-2525 or email for free leak detector dye tablets.  
    • Read your meter before and after a two-hour period when no water is being used. If the meter changes at all, you probably have a leak.
    • Check irrigation systems and spigots.
      • Twist and tighten the hose and pipe connections.
      • Twist on a WaterSense faucet aerator to save more water without a noticeable faucet flow difference in flow in the bathroom.
      Replace, if necessary 

      WaterSense models use 20% less water and perform as well as or better than standard models.

      Utility bill leak adjustment 

      Once your leak is repaired, you may be considered for a leak adjustment on your utility bill.

      Water leak adjustment request form

      Leak adjustment policy 

      • Each leak adjustment request receives individual review.
      • Approved leak adjustments are for water consumption units only.
      • If approved, a leak adjustment is for no more than 50% of the leak units during the leak period compared to the same period last year.

      Private water line insurance

      Considering water line protection services? 

      • Customers are responsible for water line breaks and repairs on their side of meter.
      • Mailings offering insurance for private water line repairs are not affiliated with the City, nor does the City endorse this type of service.

      Contact your homeowners insurance provider to find out whether water lines are covered under your existing policy.

      Contact us

      For emergencies such as water main breaks, discolored water, meter leaks, sewer back-ups, flooding and spills, call us at: 

      • Business hours: 503-618-2626
      • Outside business hours: 503-661-3906