Recycling Household Hazardous Materials

Common household hazardous wasteSome household products contain chemicals that are harmful to human health and the environment and should not be sent to the landfill. Many of these products can be reused or recycled. To learn how to rid of those difficult items such as paint cans, fluorescent bulbs and more, use Waste Wizard to find out what goes where. 

Hazardous Waste Facilities

Take a load of household hazardous waste to a Metro hazardous waste facility. The fee is $5 for the first 35 gallons.  You can also check Metro for a neighborhood collection event near you or contact them at 503-234-3000. 

Paint Recycling

Do not put paint cans in your trash.

It's easy to be environmentally friendly with paint purchases and paint disposal. PaintCare is a statewide program created by the paint industry to collect, recycle and dispose of leftover paint from consumers – and now you can buy recycled MetroPaint.

To recycle paint in Gresham, take it to: 

Miller Paint at 1831 E. Powell Blvd. or call 503-666-9018 - Miller Paint collects old latex and oil-based paint for recycling into new paint. 

Sherwin Williams at 1740 E. Powell Blvd. or call 503-666-3891.

  • Seal the lids tightly so the cans don’t leak.
  • Keep paint in the original container and leave the label on the can.
  • Never mix paints.
  • The old paint must be from households only and be in gallon size or smaller containers.
  • No more than ten containers per day per household are accepted.
  • Store staff must examine all paint containers.

Call ahead to make sure one of the stores can accept your leftover items; automotive paints, aerosol paints and paint thinners, or mineral spirits are not accepted.

For more information, visit, or call Metro’s Recycling Information at 503-234-3000.

Fluorescent bulb recycling

Residents can take fluorescent bulbs and ballasts to Metro transfer stations and many participating Home Depot stores. To find a fluorescent recycler, visit Metro's Find a Recycler.