Skip sidebar navigation

Neighborhood Association Insurance

  • The City recommends two types of insurance for neighborhood associations: one for boards and one for events.

    Insurance for boards

    The City will pay for Directors and Officers Liability (D&O) Insurance, at no charge, to neighborhood association boards that qualify for coverage.

    • About Directors and Officers (D&O) Insurance
    • Steps to Get D&O Insurance
    About Directors and Officers (D&O) Insurance

    Serving on a board with decision making powers can expose a board member to liability claims. 
    Directors and Officers Liability (D&O) insurance coverage protects board members from personal liability claims, arising from decisions made while acting in the capacity as a director and officer, alleged to be wrongful acts and/or may have caused adverse financial consequences.  

    • This coverage may extend to defense costs arising out of criminal and regulatory investigations/trials.
    • Intentional illegal acts, however, are typically not covered under D&O policies
    Steps to Get D&O Insurance

    Each year, after your association holds its election, download the insurance application. Fill out the application and send it to the Office of Neighborhood Services Manager, within one month of your election. 

    Please note:

    • The application has many additional questions that likely won’t apply to your neighborhood association. Simply mark those questions “Not Applicable” if they do not apply.
    • You may also be required to provide additional paperwork such as a bank or financial statement. City staff will be available to assist your neighborhood association as you work through the application process. 
    • When the application is complete, the City can transmit it to the insurance carrier on behalf of the neighborhood association. 
    • We will request the City be billed for the insurance premium and will pay it directly.
  • Insurance for events

    The City recommends Tenant User Liability Insurance Policy (TULIP) coverage to protect associations when holding an event, but does not pay for it.

    • About Tenant User Liability Insurance (TULIP)
    • Steps to Get TULIP Insurance for Events
    About Tenant User Liability Insurance (TULIP)

    Examples of covered events relevant to neighborhood associations: fundraising events, National Night Out picnics, neighborhood barbecues, and information fairs.

    Tenant User Liability Insurance Policy (TULIP) ensures you are protected from liability related to injuries and damage that may occur at your event or activity. Without tenant user liability insurance, you may be personally responsible for paying claims for bodily injury or property damage.

    • TULIP policies typically offer $1 million general liability coverage for events. 
    • If alcohol service is provided, an additional premium will be assessed. 
    • Third party property damage coverage can usually be added for additional premium and possibly a deductible. 
    • Generally, there are three basic classes of event hazards and the premiums will reflect the degree of risk. 

    Events excluded from coverage include: block parties with over 5,000 attendees; non-charity rummage sales; fireworks and pyrotechnics; and haunted houses, to name a few.   

    Steps to Get TULIP Insurance for Events

    You should obtain a quote for your specific event and then determine how you wish to pay for it. You can get a free estimate using one of the free online estimator tools listed below. We have included three options to obtain a free quote and buy event insurance. You may also choose event coverage through your personal insurance agent.

    To get a quote, visit online or call: 

    City County Insurance Services

    Gales Creek Insurance

    K & K Insurance

  • Tips to reduce liability exposure

    • Make sure your by-laws are up to date and make sure you follow them.
    • Be transparent and open in your decision-making and encourage attendance by posting agendas prior to meetings.
    • Be vigilant about finances, regardless of the size of the budget. Your entire board should review bank statements at every board and general meeting.
    • Always hold a formal vote on any decision involving money.
    • Make sure to record decisions involving money in your meeting minutes.
    • Make sure you communicate decisions on how to spend money with the neighborhood.


    Contact Michael Gonzales at 503-618-2482 or