Skip sidebar navigation

Home-Based Businesses

  • There are two types of home-based businesses: Type I and Type II.

    The following will help you determine which type your business is and which type of home-based business license application to complete. 

    Note: a Type I home-based business license is required only if your home-based business is inside Gresham city limits. 

    Type I vs. Type II home-based business criteria

    If your answer to all of the statements below is yes, your home-based business is a Type I business

    If your answer to any of the statements below is no, your business is a Type II business.

    • Work is conducted only by residents of the home.
    • No customers or employees come to the site.
    • No deliveries are made to the site apart from regular mail or parcel delivery.
    • Business takes place only within the home or garage.
    • No more than half the total floor area is used in connection with the business.
    • No signs promote the business.
    • No one can detect, from abutting residences or public rights-of-way, that the home is used for any non-dwelling purpose.
    • The business doesn't change the occupancy classification as prescribed by the residential building code.
    • No materials or equipment associated with the business are stored outside. 
    • No hazardous materials are stored that are not normally found in a residence. 
    • No commercially licensed ¾ ton vehicles are parked at the residence in connection with the business.
    • No noise, vibrations, heat, glare, or visual or audible electrical interference is generated or detectable beyond the dwelling's property line.
    • No vehicle repair, maintenance, or dismantling; employee/crew staging; or industrial activities take place on the property.