Arts and Culture
Gresham is the Guinness World Record for the most chalk drawings ever put to pavement – 356 – all colored in by the community during the Gresham Arts Festival on July 18, 2015.
The City supports local artists by providing gallery space for artists to display their works in curated shows and acquiring art for public purpose.
Downtown Gresham Memory Mural
The Center for the Arts Foundation, with support from the City's Arts and Cultural Assistance Grant Program, has chosen muralist Lee Lauritzen to paint a mural, summer of 2016, depicting Gresham family life, culture and history of Downtown Gresham over the years.
Mural location: 3rd St. side of the brick wall at 301 NE Roberts Ave.
Past and present: capturing Gresham's story
We’re collecting stories, memories, moments, and photos – old and new – from all ages to build the mural’s concept timeline. For example:
- Growing up in Gresham: favorite downtown childhood/family memories
- Visiting to shop or eat: favorite restaurants/shops or buildings
- Festivals and community gatherings: “Pronto Pups” or riding the Ferris wheel at the old fairgrounds, farmer’s market, Jazz and Arts festivals, Teddy Bear Parade, etc.
- Civic and school events
We want to hear from you!
You can participate two ways:
- Online: Submit your memories and photos by June 24, 2016. Submit your memories online.
- Community kick-off event: Bring your family and join us in person to share your experiences and photos with the mural committee and community. RSVP to attend the kick-off event.
When: June 20, 2016, 6-8 p.m. (children’s activities provided)
Where: Gresham City Hall, 1333 NW Eastman Parkway
Bring: Photos and memories
Committee welcome/project kick off: Learn more about how the project will take shape and how you can be involved throughout the process.
- Meet the artist and learn more about mural process.
- Share your information (please bring photos): Committee-facilitated roundtable sessions.
- Children’s corner: Facilitated coloring tables for children to create their own works of art!
Refreshments will be served.
For questions, to make a donation to the project, or more information, contact the Center for the Arts Foundation at 503-489-1157, email@example.com or GreshamCenterfortheArts.org.