Go Green at the City
Solar Equals Safety, Reliability
Solar panels installed on three Gresham Fire & Emergency Services vehicles are saving resources by eliminating battery replacement and labor.
The batteries needed electricity to charge this ambulance, and replacing every six months, at $100 each or $400 a year. The labor to replace the batteries was $75.
In the case of emergency vehicles not driven every day, such as the ambulance, if the batteries weren’t charged daily there was a real possibility of it not running when needed by fire personnel in an emergency. The solar panel on the vehicle eliminates this risk.
Benefits of Solar on Emergency Vehicles
- Reduces impact on the environment from battery replacement.
- Reduces electricity use to charge batteries.
- Reduces labor for battery purchase and replacement.
- Panels have a 25-year solar life.
- Solar panels produce energy under fluorescent lights.
- Less than one year payback for the cost of the solar panel.