Transportation Safety Fair and Bike Rodeo
Saturday, Sept. 26
Arts Plaza, 401 N.E. Second Street
11:30 a.m. - 2:30 p.m.
To promote bicycle safety and a healthy lifestyle and educate the community about bikes on public transit, the City is partnering with the Oregon Nurses Association (ONA) to hold the annual Transportation Safety Fair and Bike Rodeo.
- The ONA Constituent Association 1 has purchased hundreds of bicycle helmets to give away to children and adults who are not able to purchase new helmets.
- Children must check in with a parent or guardian to pick out color and style of the helmet they want. A trained volunteer will fit the helmet, demonstrating proper fitting.
- The ONA has first-hand knowledge of the importance of teaching safe biking skills to children in order to prevent severe injuries from accidents, and has fitted more than 1,500 free bicycle helmets in the Portland metro area since 2007 to promote injury prevention.
- Stop by the Routing booth to pick up tips for bike rides and commute routes.
- Stop by the Routing booth to pick up tips for pedestrian walks around Gresham.
- Cynergy E-Bikes will be giving free test rides on electric bikes.
- Riders must be at least 16 years of age to make test rides. The age limit is a state law.
Bring Your Bike and Helmet!
- Bring your bike and have it checked by a trained mechanic from Bikes for Humanity PDX.
- Learn the rules of the road from Gresham bike patrol officers, and practice riding on a safety course.
- Vistar Northwest will bring a semi-truck and trailer to use for the Bike Rodeo.
- Climb up in the truck cab to see what the driver sees in his mirrors.
- Learn about bike safety around big trucks.
- Vistar will have a barrel set out to collect food for the Oregon Food Bank. Bring a can of food and help those in need.
Group Bike Ride
A group bike ride will begin at 1:30 p.m. from the safety information booth on the Arts Plaza, then travel through downtown Gresham to Main City Park, making a loop on the Springwater and Gresham-Fairview Trails, and returning to the Arts Plaza around 2:30 p.m.
The Bike Rodeo is presented by the City's Transportation Planning Division staff, volunteers, and Boy and Girl Scouts, with help from the Gresham Police.
For information or to volunteer at this event contact Sandra Doubleday at 503-618-2816 or Sandra.Doubleday@GreshamOregon.gov.