Business LicensesShop East County Banner 

Frequently asked questions 

Any person who conducts business in Gresham or owns a business based in the city must acquire a business license on or before the business begins. Conducting business in Gresham without a license can result in penalties, violation notices, citations and court action.

Types of Business Licenses

  • Commercial Business*
    Conducted in a building or office, whether owned, rented or leased
  • Outside Gresham
    For businesses located outside of Gresham, but conducting business in Gresham
  • Home-Based Business*
    Operated in a residential home or apartment
  • Independent Contractor
    Works for a business but not as an employee. The business does not pay unemployment, disability or workers' compensation insurance or withhold taxes from pay.
  • Regional Contractor Business License
    Contractors or landscapers can buy a single license through Metro to construct, alter and repair requirements in 20 cities in the Portland metropolitan area.
  • Second Hand or Precious Metal and Gem Dealer
    Sellers of used and/or second-hand regulated property, or buyers and sellers of real and imitation metals and gemstones, such as gold, silver, platinum, diamonds and rubies.
  • Seasonal Business
    Temporary enterprises, such as a fireworks stand or Christmas tree lot
  • Payday Lenders
    In addition to a City of Gresham business license, all payday lender locations in Gresham must have a payday lender permit from the City of Portland, which administers the payday lender program pursuant to an intergovernmental agreement with Gresham. 
  • Rental Housing
    Required for all residential rental properties including rental homes, duplexes, mobile homes, apartments, condominiums or rooms in a lodging house
  • Mobile Home Park
    Landowners with mobile homes on site that they don't own themselves

*A non-profit organization will need to submit a commercial or home-based business license application, depending on business location. A 501(c)(3) document must be provided to the City to be considered a non-profit.

Further information on Business Licenses can be found in the Gresham Revised Code under Chapter 9 Business Licenses and Regulation 

Other Licensing Forms

Report transient lodging taxes 

Additional information about transient lodging tax requirements 

Licensing Fees 

Seasonal Sales Stand Application Packet  

PPI Towing License Application 


Questions about business licenses? Email us at or call 503-618-2370.

Return to Getting Started page.