Start or Stop Utility Service

Contact the Utility Billing customer service at 503-618-2373 or to start, stop or transfer services.

Please be prepared to provide the following information:

Starting Water Services Moving or Transferring Service
  • Service address

  • Desired service start date

  • Rental home? (yes or no)
  • Full name to appear on the account
  • Date of birth
  • Social Security number
  • Driver's license number
  • Telephone number
  • Home email address

Your account number

  • Current and/or new meter reading
  • Phone number
  • Date the phone will be disconnected, if applicable
  • Forwarding address
  • New bill payer's name

Please note: We must read your water meter before you move. To stop billing charges for water and sewer, the water must be turned off at the street. Please contact us for an appointment at 503-618-2373.


Special Requests and Maintenance

For special requests such as removing or adding a name to your account, billing address changes, etc., please contact utility billing customer service at 503-618-2373 or